Moreton-in-Marsh evolved around the Fosse Way, the old Roman Road which runs through the wide main street. The town is on the route of the old London to Worcester coaching road and was a popular stopping place for stagecoaches.
Prior to the Norman Conquest, Moreton-in-Marsh was the property of the Earls of Mercia. It is shown in the Doomsday Book to have been the property of Westminster Abbey. The name ‘Moreton’ means Moorland settlement. The ‘in Marsh’ was thought to be originally ‘Henmarsh’ - marshy land where wild birds were found. ‘In Marsh’ could, however, be a corruption of the word march, meaning boundary. Until changes in county boundaries last century, Moreton was the meeting place for four county boundaries: Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Oxfordshire and Warwickshire.
Moreton-in-Marsh was first granted market charters in 1227 and 1267. In 1638 Charles 1 granted the town a new royal charter and a large street market continues to be held each Tuesday.
Centrally situated in the High Street is the Redesdale Market Hall, which is named after the Redesdale family of Batsford House who were town benefactors. The Church is dedicated to St. David, was re-built in 1859 and replaces a smaller church from the 13th century.
Moreton-in-Marsh has one of the earliest railway stations in the country. The Moreton tramway opened in 1826, and the London-Oxford-Worcester main line followed in 1853.
On the outskirts of Moreton is the renowned Batsford Arboretum - www.batsarb.co.uk - containing one of the finest private collections of specimen plants and trees in the country.